Salem Baptist Church seeks to make reproducing disciples of Jesus Christ who display Gospel Thinking, Gospel Loving, and Gospel Doing.
Values of Salem Baptist Church
- The Lordship of Jesus Christ – We affirm as believers and as a church that Jesus is Lord. This is the core value that will never change, because Christ is the head. (John 14:6)
- The Great Commission – We affirm that our purpose is to participate in the fulfillment of this mandate. Our responsibility includes being a witness on a local, national, and international level. (Matthew 28:18-20)
- Bible-Centered Preaching and Teaching – We affirm that the Bible is the holy, inspired, and inerrant Word of God. The Bible is the source, focus, and anchor of all preaching and teaching. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- Godly Leadership – We affirm that biblical leadership is based solely on a standard of accountability that is found in God’s Word. (1 Timothy 3:1-9)
- Prayer – We affirm that prayer is our mode of communicating with God. Prayer illustrates our dependence on God, and should be included in our corporate worship and personal relationship with God. (Colossians 4:2)
- Compassion – We affirm that true compassion is defined by the actions and attitude of Jesus. Compassion is love in action that is shown toward those in the church and in the community. (Colossians 3:12)
- A Multi-Generational Congregation – We affirm that a church that values all ages is the best place for spiritual growth. (Titus 2:1-8)
- Community – We affirm that Salem Baptist Church is a community of faith that shares a sense of togetherness. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
Vision of Salem Baptist Church
- Gospel Thinking – We envision reproducing disciples who learn the scriptures through engaging in consistent corporate worship, small group ministries, and personal devoted time.
- Gospel Loving – We envision reproducing disciples who submit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ daily and display His love to others.
- Gospel Doing – We envision reproducing disciples who express their love for God by practicing the stewardship of their time, talents, and resources.
Definition of a Disciple
A Disciple is anyone who professes Jesus as Lord and desires to live for Him daily.
Characteristics of a Reproducing Disciple of Jesus Christ
- Spiritual Disciplines – A reproducing disciple practices spiritual disciplines including daily prayer and personal Bible study. Philippians 4:6, 1 Thessalonians 5:17, 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- Aligning Relationships – A reproducing disciple invests in discipling relationships through community and accountability groups. James 5:16, Ephesians 4:29-32
- Lavish Giving – A reproducing disciple is a good steward of the time, talents, and resources that God has entrusted to them. Malachi 3:10, 1 Peter 4:10, Proverbs 3:9
- Engaging Worship – A reproducing disciple participates in consistent corporate worship and submits to the lordship of Christ daily. Hebrews 10:19-25, Luke 9:23, Matthew 10:37-39
- Missional Encounters – A reproducing disciple demonstrates the love of Christ and proclaims the Gospel of Christ across the street and around the world through praying, giving, and going. Matthew 28:18-20, Acts 1:8, John 20:21
Group Strategy to Accomplish Mission of Making Disciples
Connection Group (Beginners Group) -Introductory short-term group that addresses topics such as salvation, church structure, expectations, and connecting to community.
Community Groups (Open Group) – Ongoing open small groups that focus on biblical instruction, pastoral care, outreach, and ministry to the church and community.
Covenant Groups (Closed Group) – Closed groups that meet for a certain period of time and focus on relational accountability, spiritual disciplines, and ongoing discipleship.